Every parent cherishes the memory of their child’s first tooth as it erupts in the baby’s mouth. As soon as a child’s first tooth pops out, a big question arises, which toothpaste to use? Will it be safe to use? As we know hygiene is of utmost importance when it comes to kids and little ones always have a habit of putting things in their mouths, this is where dental care is important. Dental hygiene for kids is not only important but tedious too. So the importance of a good toothpaste that ensures the safety of your kid’s oral hygiene cannot be ignored.
So to put an end to all the confusion related to kids toothpastes, here is a list of the best and top 10 toothpastes that your child can use and a no-brainer for parents.
- How to choose right toothpaste for children
- Colgate Kids Toothpaste with Fluoride, Cavity and Enamel Protection
- Hello Oral Care Kids Fluoride Free Toothpaste
- Mee Mee toothpaste
- Chicco toothpaste
- Pediflor Apple Flavour Kids Toothpaste
- Pigeon Children Toothpaste
- DentoShine Gel Toothpaste
- Mamaearth Natural Orange-Flavoured Toothpaste
- Crest Kid’s Cavity Protection Toothpaste for Kids
- Himalaya Botanique Kids Toothpaste:
- Buying guide for any toothpaste
- Brand recognition
- The bottom line
How to choose right toothpaste for children
Kids are bound to eat the paste given to them for brushing, which put you in a worry, so make sure you choose products which do not have any harmful ingredients
- Choose a colorful and attractive toothpaste that makes brushing a fun activity
- Avoid any abrasive toothpastes for kids
- Do not use charcoal toothpastes for children
- Avoid any spicy flavoured herbal toothpastes
- Involve kids in buying toothpaste, making them interested in brushing
10 Best Toothpaste for Kids
Colgate Kids Toothpaste with Fluoride, Cavity and Enamel Protection
This toothpaste by Colgate is a fluoridated toothpaste for kids inspired by movies and cartoon pictures. It is clinically proven to fight cavities and strengthen kid’s teeth. They have different flavours like strawberry, bubble gum to encourage regular brushing. It’s gentle and safe to use.
Key Ingredients: Sodium fluoride that helps prevent cavities.
Suitable Age Group: 2 years and above.
- Fights Cavities.
- Gentle on Tooth Enamel.
Hello Oral Care Kids Fluoride Free Toothpaste
One of the best fluoride-free toothpaste for children above 3 months. It has soothing ingredients like Aloe Vera, glycerine, stevia. This formulation helps gently polish and brighten your child’s teeth. Another advantage is that’s products outer box is recyclable. Kids are fond of this toothpaste due to its strong watermelon flavour.
Key Ingredients: Sorbitol, Vegetable glycerine, Aloe vera gel, Xylitol, Natural flavour, Stevia extract.
Suitable Age Group: Above three months.
- It doesn’t have artificial flavours.
- Natural watermelon flavour.
- It gently polishes your kid’s teeth.
- It also whitens teeth.
Mee Mee toothpaste
Mee mee toothpaste is carefully made using the safe formulation of fluoride-free with triple calcium and phosphate for stronger teeth. Also, it is sugar-free.
- Sugar free and fluoride free
- Strengthens teeth
- Comes in different flavours
- Safe to swallow
- Has triple calcium and phosphate
Chicco toothpaste with strawberry flavour has low abrasive properties. It’s gentle on teeth and helps in removing all debris. It is fluoride-free so can be used safely for toddlers.
- Preservative free formula
- Also contains Bio-available calcium for stronger teeth
- Contains Xylitol to prevent caries and cavities
- Very Low abrasive formula that does not harm baby’s milk tooth enamel
- Right flavour in right formula for faster adaptation to baby’s taste buds
- Best fit if used with Chicco toothbrushes
Pediflor Apple Flavour Kids Toothpaste
Pediflor Apple Flavour toothpaste, as the name suggests, has a very attractive flavour that your boy or girl child will surely love. It has 10 % xylitol which contains minimal sugar. Contains fluoride, which helps in strengthening teeth and preventing decay
- Specially Formulated Toothpaste for Children with Fluoride & natural sweetener Xylitol 10%
- Ideal Kids Toothpaste to reduce plaque formation and fight tooth decay
- Clinically proven to fight caries
- Green Apple Flavour
Pigeon Children Toothpaste
It is designed to clean teeth without harming them. Made of orange flavour making the kids to like it. Most children, especially toddlers, do not know how to spit and eventually end up swallowing the toothpaste, which might prove to be harmful. So the major advantage of this product is it contains glycerine and calcium phosphate which produces less foam, making it harmless,
- This toothpaste is an excellent cleaning paste for children’s teeth
- It helps prevent tooth decay and promotes healthy gum
- Fluoride free
- Helps clean teeth effectively.
- Flavour is harmless even if swallowed.
DentoShine Gel Toothpaste
This product is designed by an experienced dentist with aim of improving oral health without harming teeth or any adverse effects. It has three flavors and all give the same functional benefits. These flavors are strawberry, bubble gum, and mango flavours. It contains very less amount of fluoride which makes it safe for toddlers who have still not mastered the art of spitting.
- Specially Formulated for Kids
- Low Fluoride Toothpaste for Cavity Protection
- Recommended Age: 2 years and above
- 100% Vegetarian
Mamaearth Natural Orange-Flavoured Toothpaste
Mamaearth has been known for its variety of quality baby products. The natural orange flavoured toothpaste is their leading product. It comes with fluoride making it useful for kids above 3 years of age. Also, it contains xylitol, which is an important compound in all toothpaste. And orange flavor ensures that children enjoy it while brushing
It gently cleanses kids’ teeth and fights tooth decay without any unwanted chemicals or additives. It is formulated with high-quality ingredients like xylitol, aloe vera, and stevia to keep the teeth strong and prevent decay.
Crest Kid’s Cavity Protection Toothpaste for Kids
One of the best toothpaste for kids above 2 years of age. It’s gentle on kid’s teeth and helps fight tooth cavities. The sparkled toothpaste promises to be your kid’s favorite toothpaste.
This toothpaste by Crest is one of the best baby toothpaste for 2-year-old kids and above. This toothpaste is gentle on your kid’s teeth enamel, and it also helps you fight cavities.
- Fights cavities.
- It is gentle on delicate enamel of your child’s teeth.
- This toothpaste is absolutely sugar-free
- It helps to reduce the risk of getting tooth cavities.
Himalaya Botanique Kids Toothpaste:
It’s a fluoride-free toothpaste for kids by Himalaya with an infusion of ingredients like neem and pomegranate. These ingredients help to maintain healthy gums and clean teeth from debris. The orange flavor makes it easier for kids to adjust to this toothpaste.
Key Ingredients: Xylitol, Neem, Triphala, Pomegranate.
Suitable Age Group: 5 years and above.
- It helps fight plaque.
- It gives you clean teeth.
- SLS and gluten-free.
- It bursts with foam.
- It has a fruity flavour.
Buying guide for any toothpaste
When purchasing tubes of toothpaste for your kids, there are a few things to keep in mind:
Firstly safety is of utmost importance while using any product for kids, so firstly you have to check for the ingredients present in toothpaste whether they contain sodium lauryl sulphate or any artificial agents or excess sweeteners which can be harmful to kids.
Age is a very significant factor while choosing toothpaste. Since kids teeth are developing and still delicate, care is must. The fluoride content is key difference between toothpaste. Fluoride is a good anti cavity agent but it is only recommended after the age of 3 years.
Just checking the ingredients is not enough until you are familiar with the brand. Every child has different oral needs. A particular toothpaste may not suit your child just because it suited someone else. So always consult with your Pediatric Dentist before using any toothpaste. Your dentist will be the best to help you decide on a particular brand suited for your child’s oral needs. As the effectiveness of these products depends mainly on the brushing technique.
The bottom line
The market serves you with a lot of toothpaste brands each of them claiming to offer the best services so choose wisely according to your child’s needs and what suits him/her the best
- Teach your baby to rinse their mouth thoroughly
- Stay away from abrasives
- Do not use different brands at the same time
- Clean the teeth regularly
- Fluoride is key ingredient to choose appropriate toothpaste
- Every child has different dental needs.
- You can always teleconsult with DentalDost where dentists can help you select the best toothpaste suited for your child.