Cavities form where bacteria grow the most.
There are two common types of cavities. One is the cavity right on the top part of the tooth. The second type is when decay starts on the side of the tooth, or between the teeth. The uppermost layer of the tooth is the enamel. Enamel acts like a shield/ helmet protecting the inner layers of the tooth. Once the acids seep into the enamel, the decay process starts and gradually spreads to the second layer ‘dentin’. If ignored the decay keeps spreading to the deeper layers reaching the nerve.
- Controversies about cavities
- How important is your diet in preventing caries?
- Do cavities form only if you eat too many chocolates and sweets?
- Treatment options to rid of your cavities
- 5 steps to absolutely prevent caries
Controversies about cavities
It is in our hands to do everything we can to prevent cavities.
How important is your diet in preventing caries?
Do cavities form only if you eat too many chocolates and sweets?
Treatment options to rid of your cavities
Amalgam is a silver colored material made from silver, copper and other metals which have good strength, but not recommended for the front teeth due to its grayish appearance. Due to the toxicity of mercury content in the silver amalgam and a high rate of repeat fillings they have become outdated and banned. Hence, dentists do not advice silver fillings anymore.
Root canal treatment
5 steps to absolutely prevent caries
1) Brushing your teeth twice daily
2) Tongue cleaning
3) Flossing your teeth
- Cavities form as the bad bacteria in the mouth ferment the sugars and release acids that dissolve the tooth enamel.
- There are many theories as how cavities form and what all factors cause tooth decay. But the bottom line remains the same and getting rid of the food stuck to your teeth is the key to prevent cavities.
- Your diet plays a very important role when it comes to cavities. Frequent snacking is not only dangerous to your dental health, but also your overall health as well.
- Sugar is not the only reason for tooth decay
- Depending on how severe the tooth decay is tooth fillings or a root canal procedure is done.
- Educate yourself on the basic dental hygiene tips to keep cavities away.
- Prevention is better than cure. So follow the 5 steps to keep your oral cavity 100% bacteria free.