Braces align your teeth, get them all in a harmonious order and give you that perfect smile. But it can be very tedious to keep them clean. Small bits of food that get stuck in your braces will not only give you cavities ,gum problems, bad breath, but also look bad when you smile. Here are some toothbrushes to help you keep your teeth and braces clean.
Why do you need different toothbrushes if you have braces?
You may ask why cant you use your normal toothbrushes to brush your teeth once you have braces? The reason for this is normal toothbrushes tend to break down, fray and wear off due to the friction between the braces and the bristles of your toothbrush. Does that mean you use a harder toothbrush? No. Using a hard toothbrush can cause other consequences like wearing off the enamel layer of your teeth causing teeth sensitivity.
Orthodontic toothbrushes are designed in a way that they are soft, flexible but also resistant to wearing down. This also helps in efficient cleaning. Interdental brushes help in cleaning in and around the wires.
Stim ortho MB
This is one of the best brushes for your braces and recommended by many orthodontists in India.
- It has a thin head, with v- shaped bristles which are soft on your braces and tough on food particles and plaque.
- It comes with small floss tip bristles on the end of the brush to clean between teeth.
- A free proximal brush comes with it which can be used to clean between the braces and teeth.
- The bristles of the stim ortho toothbrush enables cleaning in and around the braces and helps you get rid of all the food particles stuck in the brackets and around the wires.
Colgate slim soft Ortho toothbrush for your braces
If you prefer a brush from a reputed and trusted brand then you could go for this one.
- It come with U shaped bristles which surround your braces and clean your teeth gently.
- Its head is slim and small and reaches all the corners of your mouth.
- Its bristles are super soft, so its great for people with bleeding gums.
- The only down side is that some people may find the bristles a bit too soft and ineffective.
Thermoseal ICPA Proxa Brush
This is a small interdental or proximal brush to be used along with your toothbrush. It helps cleaning in and around the wires and brackets. This is a must have if you are wearing braces.
- Its small size and soft bristles excellent to clean the spaces between your braces and teeth.
- It can also be used to clean the spaces between your teeth, if you find using a floss difficult.
- It is small and comes with a cap so it can be carried anywhere and used to clean your braces and teeth after meals.
Always ask your dentist
Always ask your dentist if you are uncomfortable using any of these or you are unaware of how to use these toothbrushes. Remember that braces affect not just your teeth, but your gums and bone as well. So, maintaining good hygiene is absolutely essential for getting optimal results from your braces treatment.
Braces are temporary but your teeth are permanent. So brush well and give your teeth the care they deserve.
Regular teeth cleaning done by your dentist every 6months is a must for every patient even if your wearing your braces for a good oral hygiene.
- Taking care of your oral hygiene with braces can be difficult. We have made it easier for you to choose the kind of toothbrush you need.
- Toothbrushes for braces are called as ortho brushes and is a must have if you have braces.
- Interdental toothbrushes are useful to clean the areas between the wires and brackets of the braces.
- Tele consult your dentist about which dental aids can be used to keep your braces clean.