Braces align your teeth, get them all in harmonious order and give you that perfect smile. But it can be very tedious to keep them clean. Small bits of food that get stuck in your braces will not only give you cavities, gum problems, and bad breath but also look bad when you smile. Here are some toothbrushes to help you keep your teeth and braces clean.
What to keep in mind while selecting a toothbrush?
There are two types of toothbrushes available. One is manual and the other one is electric. Both types of toothbrushes are effective for tooth cleaning, but electric toothbrushes are better for plaque removal from the tooth surface and also from areas that are hard to reach.
Look for the following features in your toothbrush:
- Small rounded brushing head:
A small brushing head can better clean the surface of the tooth and around the gums, where plaque can form. Also, with this, it will have access to the hard-to-reach spots and will prevent gum inflammation.
- Soft and flexible bristles:
Flexible bristles can get under the wires and brackets for thorough cleaning. Soft bristles do not harm the tissues and prevent gum irritation and wear down of enamel with effective cleaning. Soft, rounded, nylon bristles are mostly recommended.
- Firm and comfortable grip:
The handle should be the right size to have better control. The handle should rightly fit in your hand.
Stim ortho MB
This is one of the best brushes for your braces and recommended by many orthodontists in India.
- It has a thin head, with v-shaped bristles which are soft on your braces and tough on food particles and plaque.
- It comes with small floss tip bristles on the end of the brush to clean between teeth.
- A free proximal brush comes with it which can be used to clean between the braces and teeth.
- The bristles of the stim ortho toothbrush enables cleaning in and around the braces and helps you get rid of all the food particles stuck in the brackets and around the wires.
- Super soft bristles
- Tynex bristles
- The small head reaches behind the last molar and ensures efficient cleaning
- Mouth brush included which helps in cleaning overlapped teeth.
Not used by children.
Colgate slim soft Ortho toothbrush for your braces
If you prefer a brush from a reputed and trusted brand then you could go for this one.
- It come with U shaped bristles which surround your braces and clean your teeth gently.
- Its head is slim and small and reaches all the corners of your mouth.
- Its bristles are super soft, so its great for people with bleeding gums.
- The only down side is that some people may find the bristles a bit too soft and ineffective.
- The slimmer inner bristles help to remove the debris from narrow gaps between teeth and brackets.
- And the spiral outer bristles help to remove plaque around the gumline and clean outer surface of teeth.
- There’s no such drawback but some people may find the bristles a bit too soft and ineffective.
Thermoseal ICPA Proxa Brush
This is a small interdental or proximal brush to be used along with your toothbrush. It helps cleaning in and around the wires and brackets. This is a must have if you are wearing braces.
- Its small size and soft bristles excellent to clean the spaces between your braces and teeth.
- It can also be used to clean the spaces between your teeth, if you find using a floss difficult.
- It is small and comes with a cap so it can be carried anywhere and used to clean your braces and teeth after meals.
- Plastic-coated wires will ensure proper and smooth inward and outward movements and hence better cleaning of interdental spaces.
- Rubber handle grip to avoid accidental slips.
- Reaches narrow spaces of the teeth.
- There’s no such downside of using it but one should be careful while using the interdental brushes as it might traumatize the gums.
Ortho brush by Oral B
This uses V-shaped bristles to remove plaque from braces and teeth. It helps in cleaning around wires and brackets associated with retainers and other orthodontic appliances.
- Its interspace brush head helps to clean interdental spaces.
- The Ortho brush head has a special bristle ring that helps to remove thorough plaque with fixed braces.
- These electric toothbrush heads are designed specifically for braces.
- Excellent comfort and control
- Ideal for children and adults
- Reaches between brackets
- The brush head might be small
Purexa Ortho Brush
This orthodontic toothbrush is made of bamboo and is eco-friendly and biodegradable in nature.
- It has a special feature of charcoal-infused bristles.
- It is specifically designed for use with metallic or ceramic braces.
- It has a small head, a V-cut toothbrush, and an ergonomic handle for better comfort, control and ease of use.
- It has shorter inner bristles and softer outer bristles for excellent cleaning of brackets and archwires while not damaging the braces.
- Water repellent coating
- Grade 4 nylon bristles (BPA free)
- Not as flexible as other toothbrushes
Philips Sonicare Electric Toothbrush
It has been clinically proven to remove three times more plaque than other toothbrushes.
- It employs cutting-edge technology to effectively remove plaque and bacteria from between the teeth and gum line.
- The soft bristles aid in the removal of plaque between the gums and ensure thorough cleaning.
- This toothbrush has a 2-minute timer and a 30-second quad timer, which helps you clean every part of your oral cavity.
- suitable for braces.
- good battery life and ease of use
- replacement heads are difficult to find.
DenTrust Three-Sided Braces Toothbrush
This toothbrush is highly effective and unique, and it speeds up the cleaning process.
- By reaching all areas of your mouth, the three-sided bristle technology allows for faster and more efficient removal of plaque and debris.
- This toothbrush is worth a shot because it removes plaque from around the brackets, wires, and gumline while also providing a confident smile.
- excellent plaque removal
- ergonomic grip for better control
- Expansion pleats for adjustability
- The toothbrush may be stiff and less flexible.
Always ask your dentist
Always ask your dentist if you are uncomfortable using any of these or you are unaware of how to use these toothbrushes. Remember that braces affect not just your teeth, but your gums and bone as well. So, maintaining good hygiene is absolutely essential for getting optimal results from your braces treatment.
Braces are temporary but your teeth are permanent. So brush well and give your teeth the care they deserve.
Regular teeth cleaning done by your dentist every 6months is a must for every patient even if your wearing your braces for a good oral hygiene.
- Taking care of your oral hygiene with braces can be difficult. We have made it easier for you to choose the kind of toothbrush you need.
- Toothbrushes for braces are called as ortho brushes and is a must have if you have braces.
- Interdental toothbrushes are useful to clean the areas between the wires and brackets of the braces.
- Tele consult your dentist about which dental aids can be used to keep your braces clean.