A pizza is one the best of the unhealthy but oh so delicious dishes to eat. One can rarely resist biting into a piping hot slice of your favorite pizza. So let’s be honest – all of us have had a pizza burn at least once.
Don’t be a fool, Let your pizza cool!
Fats like oil, butter, and cheese hold heat for a longer period of time than carbohydrates like bread. The palate or the roof of your mouth is a very sensitive structure meant to help you taste and understand hot and cold sensations and enjoy your food.
So when the steaming hot top cheesy layer of pizza touches the soft and delicate part of your palate you get a pizza burn. Some people may also experience numbness in that area for a few days.
Home remedies for a pizza burn
Usually, pizza burns are first degree burns and can be taken care of at home –
- Suck on ice cubes or chips to get instant relief. Have cold water if ice cubes aren’t available
- Chilled milk will also give you instant relief.
- Honey and ghee will coat the region and reduce irritation.
- Plain ice creams without nuts or crispy toppings will also soothe the region.
- Have soft food like rice-khichdi, yogurt, pudding, rice, milkshakes, curd-rice, etc.
- Avoid acidic juices like lemon, orange, and tomato and strong spices like cinnamon and cloves to avoid irritation.
- Avoid hot, crispy, and spicy foods for a couple of days.
- Warm salt water rinses will help with the healing
- If you use aloe Vera gel make sure it is of the food-grade and the edible variety to avoid further complications.
- If the burn is still hurting painkillers like ibuprofen can be taken or topical gels with a local anesthetic can be applied for pain relief.
- Do not keep touching the healing region with your tongue or try to remove the scabs. This will only delay your healing.
If you have pain even a week after the burn or develop a blister, ulcer, or even a pus-filled swelling and have fever immediately seek medical help or call your dentist.
- Eating a hot pizza could burn the roof of your mouth. The melted cheese sticks to the roof of your mouth burning your sift tissues. Hence always allow the pizza to cool a little before taking the bite.
- You could feel loss of sensation in that area for around a week or two.
- You can try the above home remedies to cure the pizza burn and allow it to heal on its own.
- For faster relief you can tele consult your dentist for a gel instead of visiting your dentist.
- If you experience any ulcers or water filled blisters immediately let your dentist know about it.