Do you start sweating every time you think of going to the dentist? Dream about the worst instances happening during your dental treatment? News flash, you’re one of the 13% to 24% of adults (almost 1.4 million) all over the world who has a dental phobia.
People with phobias usually keep avoiding their triggers. like if someone’s scared of tigers the last place they wish to go to is forests and zoos.
But with people with dental phobia, it can manifest as severe oral healthcare problems which cannot be persistently avoiding.
Dental Phobia is real
Can be associated with Odontoarrupophobia (fear of toothbrushes), Queunliskanphobia (fear of saliva usually of other people)
It’s a majorly debilitating fear that leads to numerous health problems. This phobia can manifest in different ways depending on its severity.
An article published this incident, explaining how a patient walked in with a string from his mouth, in Dr.Zak’s practice.”He’d had a broken tooth for years, but he was too scared to come in. So, he’d superglued it back together — but it was upside down and back to front and he’d used a tampon to absorb moisture, which had now become stuck.”
Dental procedures are infamous because they’re typically preceded by unbearable pain. Although the procedure itself relieves the pain in a single visit, the thought of pain associated with it paralyzes patients mentally.
Dental phobia post Covid
People are avoiding visiting healthcare clinics and hospitals as there would be a higher risk of getting infected. The dental council of India has enforced some protocols every dentist must follow for the safety of their patients.
It is more safe than ever.
Dentists are keeping their clinics sanitized and taking all the necessary precautions. Dentists are following the guidelines to ensure and manage the patients well being. When in doubt always ask your dentist the safety measures taken by them so that there is no room for any residual covid phobia.
Scared to such an extent where you wish the dentist visited your home?
Some people are afraid of visiting clinics and hospitals due to various reasons. It could be the hospital staff or the hospital smell which makes them more nervous. Watching and listening to other people’s dental experiences makes them even more scared. Do you ever wonder what if the dentists visited your home and provided you with the utmost dental care that you need at the comfort of your home. Yes! its now possible. Portable dental chair units are now available that the dentists can use to provide you with basic dental services.
Have you heard of Bach remedies?
Extracts of Bach flowers usually come as liquids in dropper bottles. You can either drop the remedy on your tongue or mix it into a glass of water to drink or even have them with teas just as they do in the spas.
The bach remedies usually help people to reduce their anxiety, depression and stress and help them with balancing their emotional quotient. Having it just before your treatments may help you keep calm and gives you a sense of soothing.
What can you expect from your dentist?
Dental phobia starts developing usually due to two main reasons. One is when is you either experience a traumatic dental treatment in the past. The other reason is being completely blindsided about the treatment. For this
- Your dentist will make sure your comfortable on the chair and make you aware of the treatment as well as the procedure before starting. This will make you aware of what’s going on and make you prepared for it.
- Your dentist will help you follow the necessary sanitization protocols to ensure your safety.
- Your dentist can recognize the reason of your dental phobia and try to ease you. For example, if you are scared of the dental machines that make terrifying sounds, your dentist will choose the machinery that make less noises.
- Similarly your dentist could choose a painless mode of dentistry if you are scared of a painful procedure.
- Painless dentistry is when the dentist decides to choose devices like lasers that are painless and blood free. This not only eases the patient but also the dentist.
- Some dentists also may play some music of your choice in the background to calm you down. He or she may also allow you to be assisted by any of your family members during the procedure.
- They might also teach you some deep breathing exercises in case you seem to panic or try to jump out of your dental chair.
- Your dentist will make sure you can easily contact him or her if you have any further problems. he or she will also help you solve all your dental queries if you have any.
- If you are very anxious or apprehensive you should choose to go to a Dental Spa. The dentist or the dental assistants may provide you with some good hospitality by introducing you to a very new concept of dental spa to help you relax.
- The dentist may also provide you with a complimentary dental kit at the end of your treatment to ensure a good dental care.
Talk to your dentist frankly about various options to overcome dental anxiety and choose the most appropriate one for you. Be honest with your dentist and follow the instructions given. Try avoiding several consultations at a time, as this will only confuse you. Trust your dentist and trust the process.
‘Action cures fear but inaction causes panic’
The earlier you make that dreaded dental appointment, the easier the treatment shall get.
- Dental phobia is real but relax the dentists are there to help you and relieve you of your suffering.
- Don’t let Covid phobia take over your dental phobia. Dentists are taking all the necessary precautions to keep you and them safe.
- Let your dentist know if you feel any of the anxiety or fainting symptoms.
- Tele consult and research about clinics that opt for painless mode of treatment delivery.
- Dental Spas are clinics that specialize in dealing with patients with dental phobia. Dental Spas opt for painless dental treatments to give you a relaxed feeling at the same time.
- Tele consult your dentist to be more aware of dental phobia and how to deal with it. Talking to your dentist helps.